Wesley Moore did great work here. He took a logical approach of listing his reasons why he might be switching, what’s he’s looking for and what he might be missing out from MacOS.
What I’m Looking For
Running each one I was looking for these attributes:
- An integrated, consistent experience.
- Opinions and thoughtfulness:
- One tool for each job.
- A sensible/minimal selection of pre-installed applications.
- Simple, easy to use/understand interface
- Visually appealing and consistent
- HiDPI support
- Timely updates
From his conclusion:
My ideal would be Elementary built on top of FreeBSD. I feel like we need the diversity of having viable options besides Windows, Linux and OS X. Maybe I should work out what it would take to bring that to life…
I’m not at a point where I think of switching, but I like to keep my options open if ever something really bad happens like Apple ditching Mac desktops or laptops all together.